Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)

Visa 457

The 457 Temporary Work visa is a temporary residence visa which allows businesses to sponsor non-Australians to undertake work for a period of up to four years. The 457 visa allows the holder to work, bring family to work or study and travel in and out of Australia as often as they want.

The employer sponsorship process includes three steps:
  1. Business applies to become an Approved Sponsor through a Standard Business Sponsorship (SBS)

  2. Employer nominates an occupation in the business and names the employee for a permanent or temporary position

  3. Applicant lodges a visa application.

Who can get the 457 visa?

To apply, applicants must be nominated by an approved business (steps 1+2) to work in an approved occupation on the Consolidated Skilled Occupation List. Their work agreement needs to show that their base rate of pay is greater than the Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold, which is (as of September 2015) $53,900.

In order to qualify for this visa, applicants must also show that:
  1. They have the appropriate level of English language ability (unless they have already met the requirements to gain an occupational registration or license.)

  2. They have the necessary skills and qualifications to do the job. If it is mandatory to hold a licence or registration in order to perform an occupation in Australia, the primary 457 visa applicant must hold the registration or licensing requirements to work in the nominated occupation within 90 days of arriving to Australia or within the same time frame if they are already in Australia when the visa is granted.

  3. They and their accompanying family members satisfy standard health and character requirements.

Important to Know - Visa Conditions

Primary 457 visa holders are allowed to work only for their sponsoring employer.

Primary 457 visa holders must commence work within 90 days after arriving to Australia. Also, they must depart Australia, be nominated by another sponsor or obtain another visa to remain in Australia within 90 days of ceasing employment with the sponsor.

Primary 457 visa holders cannot undertake secondary work or work for themselves and they cannot change employer or occupation without first obtaining approval from the Department of Immigration. All 457 holders are required to make adequate arrangements for health insurance while they are in Australia.

Becoming a Permanent Resident

You might be able to apply for an Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186) or the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa (subclass 187) if you worked for two years in the same position your employer nominated you for. Applying for a permanent visa under this scheme requires your employer to nominate you for a permanent position under the Temporary Residence Transition Stream, and the nomination to be approved.

More options for becoming a permanent resident might be available for you; please contact us for more information.

We can assist you with many aspects of your future in Australia. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information or have any questions.