Parent Visa

Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

I am studying in Australia; what’s next?

If you intend to stay in Australia after the completion of your studies, you must ensure you hold the right visa. There are a number of temporary and permanent visas that permit work in Australia; however, their suitability for you depends on your personal circumstances (for example, what course you have completed, your occupation, whether you have an employer sponsor and more). There might be more than one type of visa that you can apply for.

If you are an international student who have recently graduated a course at a degree level and above or with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the skilled occupation list (SOL), you might be eligible for the Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485).

The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)

This visa allows the holder to live, work and study in Australia, to bring family and to travel to and from Australia. The visa is granted for up to 4 years (depends on your qualifications) and is non-renewable; however, during the time of this visa you can take further steps towards permanent residency visa.

The Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)includes two streams:
  1. Graduate Work

    This stream is for students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). An applicant in this stream needs to apply for skills assessment to be eligible for the visa.
  2. Post-Study Work

    This stream is for students whose first Student Visa was granted after 5 November 2011, and who graduate a course at a degree level and above.
Who can get theTemporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485)?

To apply, applicants must meet the requirements for one of the streams above.Applicants also need to -

  1. Hold a Student Visa or another eligible visa;
  2. In the last 6 months before they apply, have completed one or more degrees, diplomas or trade qualifications in Australia, which lasted at least 2 two academic years;
  3. Meet English language requirement (for example, an overall score of at least 6 with a minimum a score of 5 in each of the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing) in IELTS test);
  4. Be under the age of 50;
  5. Satisfy health and character requirements;
  6. Have health insurance.
Cost: As for July 2016, visa application fees are $1470 for the main applicant, $735 for a secondary applicant who is at least 18 and $370 for a secondary applicant who is less than 18.
I am the holder of subclass 485 Visa. What’s next?

As the holder of subclass 485 Visa you may be able to increase your chances to be granted a permanent residency visa (such as subclass 189, 190 or 187) or another visa (such as 489 or 457) that will allow you to apply later for permanent residency.
You can-

  1. Gain work experience in your occupation;
  2. Obtain a positive skills assessment;
  3. Participate in a Professional Year Program;
  4. Obtain a Credentialed community language qualification;
  5. Seek sponsorship by an employer or a state.
We can assist you with many aspects of your future in Australia. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require further information or have any questions.